Philosophy - Minor
Department of Philosophy
320 Bowman Hall
The Philosophy minor helps students develop skills such as critical thinking, careful reading and analysis of texts, argumentative and analytical writing, creative problem-solving, effective communication and global literacy — all of which are vital to success in a wide range of professions.
The minor provides excellent preparation for graduate school entrance exams (such as the GRE, LSAT and GMAT) and enhances the career preparation students obtain in their major field.
Philosophy minors develop these important skills while being introduced to a fascinating discipline which considers basic, timeless questions such as
- "What is the nature of reality?"
- "What (if anything) can I know with certainty?"
- "What kind of life should I live?"
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
- Stark Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
|PHIL 11001||INTRODUCTION TO PHILOSOPHY (DIVG) (KHUM)||3|
|or PHIL 21001||INTRODUCTION TO ETHICS (DIVG) (KHUM)|
|PHIL 11009||CRITICAL THINKING (KADL)||3|
|or PHIL 21002||INTRODUCTION TO FORMAL LOGIC (KMCR)|
|Philosophy Upper-Division Electives (PHIL 30000 or 40000 level) 1||6|
|Philosophy Upper-Division Electives (PHIL 40000 level) 1||3|
|History of Philosophy Electives, choose from the following:||3|
|ANCIENT GREEK PHILOSOPHY (WIC)|
|MEDIEVAL PHILOSOPHY (WIC)|
|CONTINENTAL RATIONALISM (WIC)|
|BRITISH EMPIRICISM (WIC)|
|GERMAN CRITICAL PHILOSOPHY (WIC)|
|NINETEENTH-CENTURY PHILOSOPHY (WIC)|
|TWENTIETH-CENTURY PHILOSOPHY (WIC)|
|AMERICAN PHILOSOPHY (WIC)|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students must complete at least two upper-division (30000 or 40000 level) courses in the minor at Kent State on a graded basis (A-F).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).