Data Analytics - Minor
Department of Economics
480 Business Administration Building
The Data Analytics minor trains students to use data to inform decision-making and create solutions. Students learn to acquire and collect raw data in various formats, concert raw data in various formats, convert raw data to usable formats and then understand how to appropriately analyze the data to draw accurate and useful conclusions. Graduates of the program will be able to use their skills across a wide-range of industries as well as in the non-profit and government sectors.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
|ECON 32050||APPLIED ECONOMETRICS I (ELR) (min C grade)||3|
|ECON 32051||APPLIED ECONOMETRICS II||3|
|ECON 42050||DATA ACQUISITION, PREPARATION AND VISUALIZATION||3|
|MGMT 24056||BUSINESS ANALYTICS I||3|
|Programming Elective, choose from the following:||3|
|PROGRAMMING THEORY AND APPLICATIONS|
|COMPUTER SCIENCE IA: PROCEDURAL PROGRAMMING |
and COMPUTER SCIENCE IB: OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING
|Programming or Applied Economics Elective, choose from the following:||3|
|ADVANCED COMPUTER PROGRAMMING FOR BUSINESS|
|COMPUTER SCIENCE II: DATA STRUCTURES AND ABSTRACTION|
|Applied Economics Elective 1|
|INDUSTRIAL ORGANIZATION: FIRMS AND STRATEGY|
|LABOR ECONOMICS: WORK AND PAY|
|SENIOR SEMINAR IN ECONOMICS (WIC)|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
Students may be allowed to choose an appropriate applied data course from their major discipline, subject to approval by the undergraduate coordinator in economics.
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students are expected to satisfy course prerequisites for each course required in the minor. Prerequisites are not tied to a particular catalog; therefore it is important to look at the most current information about a course.
- Student may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).