International Business for Business Majors - Minor
Department of Management and Information Systems
A432 Business Administration Building
The International Business minor introduces students to cultural issues of a broad, global nature. Students are encouraged to participate in study-abroad programs to complement their studies. Global business is fast becoming an important part of the U.S. economy. The world that college graduates are facing will essentially be a borderless world. This suggests a need to be trained for employment that will have international implications. Whether students take a major in business, fashion design and merchandising, the hard sciences, English or education, some training in global outreach, cultural diversity and "business cultures" will be necessary.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
- To declare the minor, students must have a minimum 2.500 overall Kent State University GPA. No Kent State University GPA is required if the student is a first-semester freshman or transfer student admitted in good standing.
|BUS 30234||INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS||3|
|ECON 42075||INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC RELATIONS||3|
|or FIN 46064||INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS FINANCE|
|or MKTG 45060||INTERNATIONAL MARKETING|
|Global Experience (study abroad, internship abroad, global internship) 1||3|
For study abroad, choose from the following:
|INTERNATIONAL ACCOUNTING EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE IN ENTREPRENEURSHIP|
|INTERNATIONAL FINANCE EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE IN HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT|
|INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE|
|INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE IN MARKETING|
|Language Requirement, choose from the following:||3-11|
Three courses from a single foreign language
Two courses in two foreign languages
Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) Level One competency 2
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||12-20|
Students who study abroad and take at least one business course can use any other courses taken for their program (such as Kent Core) to satisfy the global experience.
As determined by an international business faculty advisor in consultation with the appropriate language faculty member. Generally this proficiency can be achieved by completion of the Intermediate I level of a foreign language. If the student has achieved foreign language competency without earning credit hours, then the student must choose from the following:
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Students with an interest in this minor are encouraged to take as their Kent Core Social Sciences at least one of the following courses: GEOG 17063, POL 10004 and/or POL 10500.
- Satisfaction of all courses prerequisites is required.
- Students may not pursue a minor and major in the same discipline.
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).