Health Informatics - M.S.
School of Information
314 University Library
The Master of Science degree in Health Informatics prepares graduates for careers in managerial, analytical, consultative and executive roles working with healthcare systems and clinicians.
Health informatics is the science of evaluating, implementing and utilizing technology to manage all information related to the patient care delivery process: clinical, financial, technological and enterprise-wide. Three major components comprise the health informatics discipline: (1) the information systems component focuses on such issues as information systems analysis, design, implementation, management and leadership; (2) the informatics component is concerned with the study of structure, function and transfer of information, socio-technical aspects of health computing and human-computer interaction; and (3) the information technology component focuses on computer networks, database and systems administration, security and programming.
The informatics field also draws contributions from computer science, the clinical sciences, social and organizational influences and business practices.
Fully Offered At:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university for unconditional admission
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale for unconditional admission
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum 3.000 GPA requirement must submit a statement that addresses the circumstances that contributed to the GPA and preparation for success in graduate study. Applicants should include recent professional achievements that indicate an ability to perform at a higher academic level to be considered for conditional admission to the program.
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 587 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 94 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 82 MELAB score
- Minimum 7.0 IELTS score
- Minimum 65 PTE score
- Minimum 120 Duolingo English Test score
In calculating total GPA, all grades from all courses taken at relevant level (bachelor's or master's) from all institutions are counted.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Reconcile the needs of clinical and non-clinical users of health information systems utilizing workflow analysis, systems analysis and project management principles.
- Analyze collected data of health information systems, utilizing principles of data mining, statistics and clinical analytics.
- Manage the implementation of health information systems in multiple health care venues using principles of organizational dynamics and change management.
- Facilitate communication between clinical and non-clinical users of health information systems.
- Successfully obtain the credential of Certified Associate in Health Information Systems.
|HI 60401||HEALTH INFORMATICS MANAGEMENT||3|
|HI 60402||LEGAL ISSUES IN HEALTH INFORMATICS||3|
|HI 60403||HEALTH INFORMATION SYSTEMS||3|
|HI 60410||HEALTH RECORDS MANAGEMENT||3|
|HI 60411||CLINICAL ANALYTICS||3|
|HI 60414||HUMAN FACTORS AND USABILITY IN HEALTH INFORMATICS||3|
|HI 60636||STANDARDIZED TERMINOLOGIES IN HEALTHCARE||3|
|Major Electives, choose from the following:||12|
|PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND TEAM DYNAMICS|
|CLINICAL DECISION SUPPORT|
|CHANGE MANAGEMENT IN HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|HEALTH INFORMATICS INQUIRY AND ASSESSMENT|
|HEALTH INFORMATICS ISSUES: POLICY, POLITICS AND ETHICS|
|PUBLIC HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|SEMINAR IN HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|ELECTIVE INTERNSHIP IN HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|SPECIAL TOPICS IN HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|INDIVIDUAL INVESTIGATION IN HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|FOUNDATIONAL PRINCIPLES OF KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT|
|BUSINESS PROCESS MANAGEMENT|
|SEMANTIC ANALYSIS METHODS AND TECHNOLOGIES|
|INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE I|
Knowledge Management (KM) Courses 1
Library and Information Science (LIS) Courses 1
User Experience Design (UXD) Courses 1
|Culminating Requirement, choose from the following:||3-6|
|MASTER'S INTERNSHIP IN HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|MASTER'S PROJECT IN HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|MASTER'S RESEARCH PAPER IN HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||36|
With advisor approval, students may take a maximum 6 credit hours of KM, LIS and/or UXD courses, or other Kent State courses.