Principal Grades PK-6 Licensure Preparation - Non-Degree
School of Foundations, Leadership and Administration
300 White Hall
Admission to the Non-degree Graduate (NDGL) program for Principal Grades PK-6 Licensure Preparation has been temporarily suspended as of fall 2020.
The Principal Grades PK-6 Licensure Preparation non-degree program will prepare students to obtain the Ohio Principal PK-6 License. In this program, students will complete sequence of courses leading to license. Completion of the coursework is a prerequisite to being recommended by Kent State University for licensure, and licenses are granted by the Ohio Department of Education.
The non-degree program is not a master's degree program. Students interested in obtaining a principal license and a master's degree from Kent State University must also be fully admitted into the master's degree program and complete the prescribed coursework on the master's degree prospectus, in addition to courses that are prescribed here for licensure.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
- Evidence of at least two years of successful teaching experience under a professional teacher license at the PK-6 level
- Goal statement
- Official transcript(s)
- Minimum 3.000 GPA
- Two letters of recommendation
- GRE if GPA below 3.000 GPA
Program Learning Outcomes
Completers of this non-degree program will be able to:
- Describe the Ohio Standards for Principals
- Describe the Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession
- Describe the Ohio Standards for Professional Development
- Describe the Ohio School Operating Standards
- Describe the Ohio Value Added Progress Dimension(s)
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills consistent with the ELCC District and/or NELP District standards
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills identified in CAEP Advanced Standard A. 1
Residence Requirement Policy for Non-Degree Teacher Education Licensure/Endorsement Preparation Programs
- Non-degree licensure (initial and additional) and endorsement programs that are a total of 15 credits or above: Students must complete 60% of the coursework at Kent State University, including the course that addresses the CAEP A.1.1 Standard as designated by the program area.
- Non-degree licensure (initial and additional) and endorsement programs that are less than 15 total credits: Students must complete 100% of the coursework at Kent State University.
- Students are permitted 6 years to complete licensure programs and 4 years to complete endorsement programs at Kent State University.
- Coursework transferred from another university cannot be more than 6 years old at the time the licensure/endorsement program is completed.
- Students who do not meet the residence requirements will not be recommended for licensure by Kent State University.
|EDLE 66492||INTERNSHIP IN EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION||3|
|EDLE 66518||SCHOOL AND SPECIAL EDUCATION LAW||3|
|EDLE 66525||THE EDUCATIONAL PRINCIPALSHIP||3|
|EDLE 66526||FUNDAMENTALS OF EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION||3|
|EDLE 66527||SCHOOL FINANCE FOR BUILDING ADMINISTRATORS||3|
|EDLE 66529||LEADING FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE||3|
|EDLE 66531||INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP||3|
|EDLE 66536||THE ADMINISTRATOR'S ROLE IN CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT||3|
|EDLE 66542||PRINCIPLES AND TECHNIQUES OF SUPERVISION AND SPECIAL EDUCATION||3|
|EDLE 66544||COMMUNITY RELATIONS AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS||3|
|EVAL 65511||RESEARCH IN EDUCATIONAL SERVICES||3|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||33|
- Must maintain a 3.000 overall GPA
- Minimum 3.000 overall GPA
- Students declared in a doctoral degree should enroll in the doctoral level version of these courses, if offered.
Candidates seeking Ohio teaching licensure are required to pass specific requirements in order to apply for licensure from the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). The candidate must earn the qualifying score of 220 on the Ohio Assessments for Educators: Educational Leadership. Students should consult the Special Education Department for specific program requirements and refer to the Ohio Department of Education - Educator Preparation website for more information on assessments specific to licensure type.
A master's degree, with a core of coursework in Educational Leadership plus 3 additional hours for the internship, is required for this license.