Recreation Management - Minor
School of Foundations, Leadership and Administration
300 White Hall
The Recreation Management minor prepares students to conduct recreation activities in a variety of settings with diverse populations in community recreation centers, youth development agencies, campus recreation and wellness centers, adventure centers, corporate recreation and fitness programs, military recreation, senior centers, youth sports organizations, and camps. The program provides students with knowledge, skills and abilities through coursework and hands-on, field-based experiences.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
Students declared in the Recreation, Park and Tourism Management major may not declare the Recreation Management minor.
To declare this minor, students must have attempted a minimum 12 credit hours at Kent State and earned a minimum 2.250 overall Kent State GPA. Students who have not attempted 12 credit hours at Kent State will be evaluated for admission based on their high school GPA for new students or transfer GPA for transfer students. Transfer students who have not attempted 12 credit hours of college-level coursework at Kent State and/or other institutions will be evaluated based on both their high school GPA and college GPA.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Apply theoretical, philosophical, and conceptual foundations of recreation and leisure to recreation program management.
- Execute group facilitation techniques with diverse clientele to achieve recreation program outcomes.
- Design, implement, and evaluate recreation programs to meet the needs of diverse clientele.
|RPTM 16000||FOUNDATIONS OF RECREATION AND LEISURE||3|
|RPTM 26030||LEADERSHIP IN RECREATION, PARKS AND TOURISM||3|
|RPTM 36040||INCLUSION OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES IN LEISURE SERVICES (DIVD)||3|
|RPTM 36075||PROGRAM DESIGN AND EVALUATION||3|
|Recreation, Park and Tourism Management (RPTM) Electives||6|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).