Middle Childhood Generalist Social Studies (4-6) Endorsement Preparation - Non-Degree
School of Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Studies
404 White Hall
The Middle Childhood Generalist Social Studies (4-6) Endorsement Preparation non-degree endorsement program has been approved by the Ohio Department of Education. The generalist endorsement can be added to a Middle Childhood license if you graduated from the Kent State Middle Childhood education program after 2004. Endorsement candidates need to earn a C or better in all courses that apply to licensure. The MC Generalist License will allow teachers to teach grades 4-6 only (in the concentration areas that are listed on the license).
The non-degree program is not a master's degree program. Students interested in obtaining a teaching license and a degree from Kent State University must also be fully admitted into the degree program and complete the prescribed coursework on the prospectus, in addition to courses that are prescribed here for the endorsement.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
- Bachelor of Science in Education Middle Childhood Education degree earned at Kent State University after 2004 or current BSE MCED student at Kent State University
- Minimum 3.00 GPA on a 4.000 scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Valid Middle Childhood teaching license from the State of Ohio
Residence Requirement Policy for Non-Degree Teacher Education Licensure/Endorsement Preparation Programs
- Non-degree licensure (initial and additional) and endorsement programs that are a total of 15 credits or above: Students must complete 60% of the coursework at Kent State University, including the course that addresses the CAEP A.1.1 Standard as designated by the program area.
- Non-degree licensure (initial and additional) and endorsement programs that are less than 15 total credits: Students must complete 100% of the coursework at Kent State University.
- Students are permitted 6 years to complete licensure programs and 4 years to complete endorsement programs at Kent State University.
- Coursework transferred from another university cannot be more than 6 years old at the time the licensure/endorsement program is completed.
- Students who do not meet the residence requirements will not be recommended for licensure by Kent State University.
|EHHS 40092||PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE IN EDUCATION, HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (ELR) (min C grade)||1|
|GEOG 17063||WORLD GEOGRAPHY (DIVG) (KSS) (min C grade)||3|
|HIST 31061||HISTORY OF OHIO (min C grade)||3|
|or GEOG 37010||GEOGRAPHY OF OHIO|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||7|
- Minimum 3.000 overall GPA
Prior to program completion, the candidate must demonstrate proficiencies in the following areas (including but not limited to): Data literacy and analysis, use of research and assessment data, leadership and collaboration, utilizing and supporting appropriate technology for the discipline, and application of professional dispositions, laws and policies, codes of ethics and professional standards appropriate to their field of specialization.
Candidates seeking Ohio teaching licensure are required to pass specific requirements in order to apply for licensure from the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). Students should consult the Middle Childhood Education department for specific program requirements and refer to the Ohio Department of Education - Educator Preparation website for more information on assessments specific to licensure type.