Peace Officers Training Academy - Undergraduate Certificate
The Peace Officers Training Academy undergraduate certificate prepares students to become law enforcement officers in the state of Ohio. Students pursuing the certificate must be accepted to Kent State’s Basic Peace Officer Academy. The certificate’s curriculum covers the basics of defensive tactics, firearms, driving, traffic, patrol, civil disorders and first aid. Students learn investigative methods and the fundamentals of policing, the criminal justice system, constitutional law and homeland security.
After successful completion of the certificate and the academy, students are eligible to take the state certification examination for law enforcement. Graduates of the certificate are able to matriculate into the A.A.S. degree in Criminology and Justice at Kent State.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
- Trumbull Campus
The curriculum for the Peace Officers Training Academy undergraduate certificate is approved by the Ohio Attorney General - Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission (OPOTC).
Admission to the certificate is selective. Applicants to the certificate must meet all admission criteria for acceptance into Kent State’s Basic Peace Officer Academy. Criteria includes the following:
- Valid driver’s license
- High school diploma or GED
- Age 20 or turning age 20 at time of enrollment
- Good physical condition
- No felony or drug convictions or arrests for domestic violence
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Identify the components and legal processes of the criminal justice system, and apply basic criminal laws to various situations.
- Explain the different types of police procedures and their effective uses in law enforcement.
- Use ethical, analytical and critical-thinking skills toward situations typical to criminal justice settings.
- Safely and properly conduct a traffic stop and respond to a domestic disturbance, dispatched call or crime in progress.
- Properly carry out comprehensive criminal investigations and write various reports.
- Proficiently provide first aid at the level of a first responder.
|POTA 11001||PEACE OFFICERS ACADEMY I||6|
|POTA 11002||PEACE OFFICERS ACADEMY II||5|
|POTA 11003||PEACE OFFICERS ACADEMY III||6|
|POTA 11004||PEACE OFFICERS ACADEMY IV||5|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||22|
|Minimum Certificate GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Completion of the Kent State University Basic Peace Officer Academy