Jazz Studies - Minor
School of Music
E101 Center for the Performing Arts
The Jazz Studies minor promotes the development of fundamental skills in jazz. The minor provides instruction in performance, composition and arranging.
Fully Offered At:
- Kent Campus
Admission to a minor is open to students declared in a bachelor’s degree, the A.A.B. or A.A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree (not Individualized Program major). Students declared only in the A.A. or A.S. degree or the A.T.S. degree in Individualized Program may not declare a minor. Students may not pursue a minor and a major in the same discipline.
To declare the Jazz Studies minor, students must audition to music faculty in voice or on an instrument.
|Minor Requirements (min C grade required in all courses)|
|MUS 17013||FUNDAMENTALS OF JAZZ PIANO||1|
|MUS 36011||APPLIED MUSIC - JAZZ (repeated for 2 semesters) 1||4|
|MUS 41341||JAZZ IMPROVISATION I||1|
|MUS 41342||JAZZ COMPOSING AND ARRANGING 2||2|
|MUS 41351||JAZZ IMPROVISATION II||1|
|MUS 42162||JAZZ STYLES AND ANALYSIS||3|
|MUS 45231||JAZZ ENSEMBLE (repeated for 4 semesters)||4|
|MUS 45312||JAZZ COMBO DEVELOPMENT (repeated for 2 semesters)||2|
|Minimum Total Credit Hours:||18|
A half-jazz recital or approved equivalent is required to complete the minor. Registration in MUS 36011 is required during the jazz recital semester.
|Minimum Minor GPA||Minimum Overall GPA|
- Minimum C grade is required in all courses for the minor.
- MUS 11110 , MUS 11111, MUS 16914 and MUS 16915 will not count as credit for graduation in this program.
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be upper-division coursework (30000 and 40000 level).
- Minimum 6 credit hours in the minor must be outside of the course requirements for any major or other minor the student is pursuing.
- Minimum 50 percent of the total credit hours for the minor must be taken at Kent State (in residence).